Missing Money Match Tips

I've found a match. Will I get the money? Most states send you an acknowledgement letter shortly after receiving your claim. If you are found to be the rightful owner, then the state will issue a check directly to you. For instructions on how to file a claim, see the claim form and instructions on this site, or you can contact your state to have a claim packet mailed to you.

I've found a match. I'm not sure if it's mine. What do I do? Follow the instructions provided on this site or by your state. All items require proof of ownership. Be sure to provide additional documentation as requested.

I've found a match. What happens next? You should complete the State claim form by following the instructions provided. Most states require you to provide specific types of identification to validate the claim. The claim form and id are then mailed to the state for review. They will respond to you directly after they have reviewed your submission and verified that you are the rightful owner. If the state validates your claim, the funds will then be turned over to you. (Most states will not tell you the exact amount of the property, until they validate your claim).

I've found a match. When do I get the money? Most states send you an acknowledgment letter after receiving your claim. Claims processing time frames vary from state to state and property to property based upon claim activity. Please be patient.

I didn't find a match. Does this mean I do not have missing money? No. Many states are in the process of joining MissingMoney.com and their unclaimed property records may not be available today. Also, some states may have a year delay in listing unclaimed property records. You should return to this site monthly as records are continually updated.